There is lots of advice on the internet about designing a website. You can look into getting your international business MBA or you can do a Google search to see the many pages devoted to this subject. While most of the information is good, it is important to keep up with design trends, so be careful about relying on an article written even a few years ago.Web design innovation is in constant flux. Today web design focuses mainly on functionality and impact. Here are 10 tips for designing a website for your business you can actually use.
Functionality of Your Business Website
You need your website to work, and you need it to be easy for your customers to use. You also need it to be mobile friendly. These requirements can seem a bit daunting, and with good reason. Good web design incorporates all of these and more to make your website have maximum functionality.
- Design a mobile version of your website. In this version of your website use large buttons instead of drop down menus and links. Most mobile users will navigate with their fingers and buttons are much easier to use.
- Limit the use of large image files on your website. This will help speed up load time and keepyour visitors on your site instead of clicking off.
- Test everything. Test your links, test your cart, test your check out process, and even test how your site looks on different browsers.
- Choose your web hosting service wisely. Research different plans and companies to see who offers the most for your money. Will you need a complete package which includes email address and analytics, or do you just need a place to park your site?
- Place your navigation where it is the most useful. Some web designs have floating navigationbars that scroll down the page with you. Others rely on top and bottom navigation. Do some tests and see which design works best for your business.
Impact of Your Business Website
Impact has to do with the look and feel of your website. Your website should reflect the goals and culture of your business. A website for an art gallery will look and feel much different than one for a plumber or HVAC business.
- Keep your website as clean as possible. One popular trend is to have aminimum amount of text, a few visuals and maybe a video, and then a call to action button. Put what you need on your site, but keep from looking cluttered.
- Use images to create impact. Although large images do take a while to load, they can create a real impact. You may want to have a front page with a bold image that users can choose to click onto the main site before the entire image loads.
- Color is another important factor to create impact on your website. Keep your color scheme uniform throughout your website, blog, emails, and banners. This creates a cohesive feeling to your web presence.
- Avoid blue text unless it is for links. People have become accustomed to associating blue text with links. By avoiding this color you will also avoid confusion and frustration.
- Connect with your visitors on an emotional level if possible. Create copy and use images that “pull at the heart strings”.
These are just 10 tips for designing a website for your business. Use them to create and design a website that not only is functional, but creates an impact visitors will remember.