Tips to Choose Best Plan for Dedicated Hosting.
Choosing the Right Dedicated Server: Even if you are planning on setting up your own private dedicated server, you’ll still need to put a lot of thought into your computing requirements. Although you have access to the machine for future upgrades in case your initial plans fall through, you should try to make your first estimates as accurate as possible. Your past history of computing resource usage is vital in determining your computing resource requirements and thus the machine that you’ll need for your server.
Calculating CPU and RAM Requirements
Here are the things that you’ll need to consider if you are calculating your CPU and RAM requirements:
1. Get an idea of the operating system that you’re planning to run and the software that you’re going to install. Common software includes content management systems plus security applications such as firewalls and antivirus programs. Make sure to check their specification requirements to see how much CPU and RAM you’re going to need at a minimum. Speak to hosting experts for advice if you need it.
2. Estimate your need for CPU processing power and RAM based on the total requirements for the software that you are planning to run in tandem. Begin with the computing resource needs of your operating system and calculate from there. Other factors that can influence your need for RAM mainly depends on the setup of your dedicated server. Factors can include the traffic that you expect to see, whether your website content is static or dynamic, and if you are planning to use caches for your website.
3. Remember that you have some leeway in addition to the extra CPU processing power and RAM that you are installing because you are using a dedicated server. If you notice that your setup is going to become inadequate for handling the actual demands of your website, you can simply install more processors and RAM as needed. Of course, you may want to purchase a server that can more easily accommodate such additions.
Calculating Storage Space Requirements.
Here are the things that you’ll need to consider if you are calculating the storage space requirements for your dedicated server:
1. First, you’ll need enough space on your dedicated server to contain both the operating system and all of the software that you are planning to install. Second, you’ll need enough space to store the current files that make up your website. Once you’ve calculated this minimum figure for storage space, you’ll need to add more storage space to accommodate software that you might like to install in the future, planned growth of your website as part of its routine function, and anything that you might want to add to your website in the future. Start at least 1.5 times the calculated figure and go up depending on your history of growth in storage space usage.
2. Remember that it is better to overestimate your storage space needs than to underestimate them. Storage space can quickly fill up if you are not careful and having more space on hand will give you extra leeway for error.
3. Fortunately, you do not need to get all of your estimates about your storage space needs right the first time if you are using a dedicated server. You can add more storage space as needed, although there are limitations.