Know the Science behind the Way the Deck of Cards is designed with These 7 Interesting Facts
It is no surprise if rummy comes to your mind when someone mentions about card games. Why not? Indian rummy has been around for many decades now. We’ve enjoyed playing the rummy game with family members and friends as much as we enjoy playing its online version in the recent times. A deck of cards was a must when there was a gathering. Today, rummy games online has replaced the physical deck of cards but they still hold a prime place in our hearts.
But, have you ever pondered over the science behind the way the deck of cards is designed. Well, late a look then.
- A standard deck of cards consists of 52 cards. But, there is an interesting observation, perhaps, you may appreciate. The number 52 represents the presence of 52 weeks in a year. Sounds interesting, isn’t it?
- If you are an avid card player who plays rummy, then you would be aware that a deck of card consists of 4 different suits – Clubs, Diamonds, Hearts, and It would be surprising for you to know that the 4 different suits denote the existence of 4 different seasons in a year.
- Delving further, it is known that each suit consists of 13 cards starting with Ace, 2, 3. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Jack, Queen and King. You’ll be awestruck to know that the number 13 is symbolic of the 13 weeks present in a year. Awesome!
- Court cards are the US equivalent of face cards King, Queen, and Therefore, in a deck of 52 cards, there are 12 court cards which represent the 12 months in a year.
- Further, another interesting observation that’ll blow your mind. If you add up the value of all the cards by considering the value of Ace as 1, Jack as 11and Queen as 12 and King as 13, then you will be surprised to find that they’ll total up to 364. And as each deck of cards comes with 2 Jokers, if you add up the 1st Joker (taking its value as 1) then it would total up to 364+1=365. This number represents the number of days in a year! The fun does not end here. If you add the 2nd Joker to 365 as 365+1, then the resultant answer which is 366 is representative of the number of days in a leap year. Mind-blowing!
- If that’s not all, there’s more to come by. Each suit symbolizes an important aspect of life. If Spades relate to Employment, Hearts represents the importance of Love in one’s life. While Clubs denote the power of Growth, Diamonds are synonymous with Wealth.
- As your life is an embodiment of all these important elements, red cards are symbolic of the day and the black cards denote the night.
These interesting observations would make you curious if they really mean as above. But, that’s something we are not certain about. However, on the hindsight, a well-known saying flashes past our mind, “Life is a game of cards. Play your cards well”, make us believe that the above observations about Indian rummy are so true indeed! Think about it.